Thursday, May 17, 2012

Old-Fashion Salads to Brighten Up Your Dinner Table or Buffet Salad Selection

Old-Fashion Salads to Brighten Up Your Dinner Table or Buffet Salad Selection

best salads recipes - italian salads recipes - pasta salads recipes

When we talk about salads we are not necessarily talking about a bowl full of greens! There are many types of salads including greens. But what about gelatin, and beans or other vegetables. These recipes will help you have a selection of tasty, easy salads to offer your family and friends. Mixed Vegetable Bean Salad combines healthy kidney beans with vegetables in a cooked sauce. The Cream Cheese-Lime Salad is from the community where I went to school. Notice I didn't say what type of school. That is because I went from first grade through twelfth grade in the same building! We never heard of kindergarten and pre-K back in those days. My parents went there and so did my oldest child! This tells you just how vintage this recipe is.

MIXED VEGETABLE-BEAN SALAD
1 can (15-oz) kidney beans, drained
1 can (15-oz) mixed vegetables, drained
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery

In a medium bowl, mix the kidne y beans and mixed vegetables together. Add the bell pepper, onion, and celery to the mixture. Make the sauce and pour over the vegetable mixture.

SAUCE:
1/2 cup sugar (or Splenda granular for diabetics)
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 cup vinegar
1 tsp mustard

Cook the sauce ingredients together in a saucepan, stirring, until the mixture thickens. Allow to cool then add the sauce to the vegetable mixture and toss to coat well.

I like to update this salad for my meals today. I am diabetic so I substitute Splenda for the sugar in the sauce. I also like to substitute a small bag of Chinese-style frozen vegetables for the can of mixed vegetables. I buy them in the steamer pack but only cook them 3 or 4 minutes to just heat them for use in the salad.

CREAM CHEESE-LIME JELLO SALAD
This recipe is from the community where I went to school. (Yes, I didn't say what type of school and that's because I went from first grade through twelfth grade in the same building! My parents went there and so did my oldest child!)

1 regular can of milnot, chilled until ice crystals start to form
8-oz pkg cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
3-oz pkg lime jello
1 cup boiling water

Add the sugar and vanilla to the softened cream cheese. Dissolve the jello in the boiling water, stirring to completely dissolve the jello. Cool until syrupy. Combined the cooled jello and the cream cheese mixture. Whip the milnot until stiff and fold into the other mixture being gentle. Pour into a jello mold that has been wiped with a vegetable oiled paper towel. Chill until firm.

Note: You can use your choice of Jello flavors.

For more of Linda's old-fashion recipe collection visit her blog at http://grandmasvintagerecipes.blogspot.com/ For more of her recipes and diabetic information visit http://diabeticenjoyingfood.blogspot.com/

source: via web